by Robert Filardo and Lindsay Matteo
Step-by-step instructions for learning to program with
About the language
Step 1: Downloading and Installing Coldfusion
Step 2: Downloading and Installing Eclipse
Click here to go to Macromedia's download site for a free version of ColdFusion for your local machine.
- At the above site, choose the ColdFusion MX 7 Developer Edition, and select your operating system
from the dropdown menu, most likely the last selection (for Windows).
- Click the "Download" button and follow the setup instructions after selecting the completed file.
- Extensive setup instructions can be found
Step 3: Download and Install the CFEclipse Plugin
- The first important step to install Eclipse is to make sure that you have a Java Runtime Environment
already installed on your computer. You can get it
- Click here to go to the downloads section of the Eclipse site.
- Download the setup file and follow the installation instructions that it provides.
- Click here to read about the plugin that will add a Coldfusion perspective to Eclipse.
- Select the "Help->Software Updates->Find and install" menu option in Eclipse.
- On the screen that is displayed, select 'Search for new features to install' and click the 'Next' button.
- Now click the 'New Remote Site' button.
- Enter a name for the update site, for example "CFEclipse". In the URL box, enter http://cfeclipse.tigris.org
and click the OK button
- You should now have a 'CFEclipse' node in the 'Sites to include in search' box. Expand the CFEclipse node
and you will see two child nodes: 'com.rohanclan.cfml.release.stable' and
- Tick the 'com.rohanclan.cfml.release.stable' box and click 'Next'
- Eclipse will contact the CFEclipse site and retrieve the list of available plugins. Tick the plugin with the
highest version number and click 'Next'
- Once Eclipse has restarted CFEclipse should have been successfully installed.
There is a vast amount of
information available on the Internet. Some of the best sources are:
Click here to read through the extensive ColdFusion documentation.
Click here to watch helpful video tutorials illustrating basic Coldfusion programming concepts.
- Here is an
Example of Coldfusion
(link may expire 12/31/05) which is explained in detail in the presentation.
Download and view the QuickStart
ColdFusion PowerPoint Presentation.
Back to QuickStart Languages